MAJOR GIFTS OFFICER / New Orleans Facility
Second Harvest Food Bank (SHFB) believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the company; that contribution should not be limited by the work identified assigned tasks and overall responsibilities. Each employee is expected to offer his/her talents, expertise, and services whenever necessary to ensure the achievement of company goals.
Implement a focused major gifts development plan with the goals of cultivating relationships, stewarding donors, and soliciting $5,000+ gifts from major donors and prospects. The primary focus is on individual donors, but this position will also have accountability for some corporate and foundation giving. The Major Gifts Officer will assist with capital campaign strategy and campaign efforts. This position will work in collaboration with the Development and Communications Team, President and CEO, other members of the Executive Leadership team, and the company’s Development Committee and Board on major gifts strategy and execution.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and execute a plan for soliciting $5,000+ gifts in the context of an annual revenue goal of approximately $700,000 for individual, corporate and foundation major gifts and sponsorships.
- Manages a portfolio of 50-100 donors and prospects. This includes all phases of the gift cycle (identifying and qualifying new prospects, initiating contact with donors, customizing cultivation and solicitation strategies, engaging in direct solicitation or facilitating solicitation meetings as appropriate, and implementing stewardship initiatives). Prepare personalized solicitation packages that focus on organizational needs, funder interests and recognition, as appropriate.
- Help plan and execute major donor cultivation, stewardship and fundraising events.
- Assist with capital campaign planning and strategy and the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of capital campaign donors.
- Work closely with Second Harvest’s Development Committee and Board of Directors on major donor strategy, cultivation and solicitation.
- Collaborate with the Community Relations Manager, Grants Team and Volunteer Services on corporate and foundation giving and sponsorships. Solicit sponsorships for fundraising events.
Engage in networking and ongoing professional development activities.
Skills and Capabilities
The ideal candidate will possess many of these professional and personal abilities and attributes:
- Ability to develop successful strategies and an actionable framework for major gifts.
- Track record of accountability and leadership in major gifts, working in concert with a team of development/communications professionals and volunteers.
- Experience collaborating with Development Committees and Board members on major gifts.
- Knowledge of and experience with Raiser’s Edge and prospect research tools.
- Ability to build rapport with prospects, donors, volunteers and the public with diplomacy, discretion, and customer-service orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communications skills.
- Respect for confidentiality and accuracy in handling donor information.
- Strong work ethic with the ability to work well in a team-oriented, goals-driven department.
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience, and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be may be considered in lieu of education and/or experience at the company’s discretion.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree and/or CFRE certification a plus.
Experience: 2+ years of experience executing successful major gifts programs.
- To apply, please email your resume and cover letter (with salary requirements) to email@example.com.
- Please Type “Major Gifts Officer" as the only content in the subject line of your email.
- The deadline to apply is Friday, June 30th, 2017.
Please CLICK the Attachment below for the full job description with more details.
Second Harvest Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer.